Monday, February 1, 2010

T is for Texting

Before you assume this entry is about the recent Oprah episode about the need for people to stop texting, tweeting, BBMing and emailing while driving, it's not. While that's very important, this is about how much I hate how relationships in today's society have moved from talking to texting. I have known too many friends that have been in "relationships" solely based on text messages. Now, this isn't just a quick text here or there to say "goodnight," "I had a fun night," etc. No! These are full blown conversations, lasting HOURS!!! Here's what I think...stop with the texting, man up and talk face to face!

For those of your that have read some of my past entries, you can guess where this is going. Something happened to me, I got fed up and immediately jumped on my computer to tap out my frustrations!

Last year, around November, I was asked if it was OK to give my number to a prospect. After a quick thought....I said YES! Making a long story as short as possible, the guy wrote me a text message later that week and, after a few messages, we set up a time to go to dinner. A few days later, he called just to talk to say hello and that he was looking forward to meeting me. A little out of the blue, but a very nice gesture and something I appreciated. All's well and good until...day of the date. He sends me a text saying something like, "Work came up and I need to reschedule our dinner." To that I replied, "That stinks, but no worries. I understand." After a few moments, my trusty text tone indicated that I had another message. "I'll give you a call next week."

This past week... nearly two and a half months later, I get this text message:

"I know this will be an odd text because we haven't talked in a while but can we eat dinner soon?"

What is that? Why couldn't he be a man and make a phone call. Or better yet, be a man and realize that his time has passed on asking me out! This whole texting as the sole communication in the start of a relationship is crazy. So, in rapping this up, please know, I don't hate texting. I actually love a good text. But when you are texting more than you're talking, there's a problem. Just sayin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment