Monday, February 8, 2010

5 is for 500 Days of Summer

This weekend I saw 500 Days of Summer. Personally, I thought it was fantastic. The thing I think I liked most, was the way it was so unlike most non-love movies I've seen...ever seen. My general thought pattern, mostly stemming from the fact that I'm a hopeless romantic and some because of society, is movies with a boy and a girl are suppose to be sweet, lovie dovie and romantic with a happy endings. This movie, while (SPOILER ALERT) it didn't have a traditional happy ending, it did, in a weird way, have a ending that was acceptable.

The movie starts on day 488, and from there jumps around telling the story of their on again, off again love-something and how each viewed the wonderful/hateful world of love and life.

While Summer completely destroyed Tom's heart and hope in love in the end, it wasn't without warning. I know this isn't something a true, hopeless romantic would normally say, that's what I got in the end. Maybe I'm not a hopeless romantic anymore....

I loved the notion that, while it completely and utterly sucked in the end, it was real. In life, I've learned that things don't always work out, people let you down, you don't get the job, you get overlooked, you aren't the bride, but the bridesmaid and you come up short.

One of the many quotes from the movie that was hard, but necessary, was this:

"What happened with all of those relationships?"

"What always happens... life."

Life is hard. But it's how you choose to go about it that's the clincher. Maybe that's why I loved this movie so much. I, for the first time, must be starting to understand, and appreciate, the ups and downs of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment