Monday, July 12, 2010

F is for Feelings

Feelings, to me, are like shadows. Good or bad, they never leave. They are these little things that creep into every crevasse and situation of your life. One minute your feelings are happy, excited and care free. The next minute, your feeling are solemn, uncertain and melancholy. Right now, my feelings are completely confused. A few weeks ago, I really felt my feelings were telling me that I was making the right decision about a situation. I felt at peace and very confident. Moving forward on those feelings, I did and said certain things that made huge changes within that situation. Now, my feelings are changing and I'm feeling as if I made a wrong decision.

How can this be? How can one minute you feel one way and another minute you feel something completely different. The real question is, how are you to approach life when your feelings are obviously going to change at every bend in the road?

One thing I hate about feelings is the fact that they are, sometimes, all consuming. They collectively decide to overtake everything that makes up... you. They latch on and don't let your mind forget about them.

However, one thing I love about feelings is the fact that they are there. They let you know that you are alive and experiencing something; good, bad or ugly. While I'm still completely confused, I know that my feelings are helping propel me through life and figure things out. I don't understand them all the time. And I don't always want to agree with what they're telling me, but they are there for a reason, and I owe them, at least, acknowledgment. What to do next... yeah, I'm not sure either. Hopefully my feelings will let me know something soon!

3 comments:

  1. Feelings are awesome. They provide the ups and downs that make life so unpredictable and keeps us on our toes.
    On the same wave length as that, feelings can also be deceiving. And acting upon those feelings out of fear could lead to an opportunity missed.

    I only say this because I have just experienced it. I felt so much for a person but was so afraid of what committing to him meant. I blamed a lot of my uncertainty on not having received a clear answer from the Lord. Upon reflection of the situation I began to realize that I was letting the fear of letting go of my independence and walls I had built around me create an outlet for Satan to instill that apprehension to be with a man I love.
    I came to this almost a moment too late as he had started to learn how to let go of me and move on. Fighting back and standing up for committing to him, what I had avoided for so long, was extremely difficult. Anger and frustration are having to be broken down on his part while fear still needs to be ebbed away at on mine. Trust is having to come from both of us, in each other, in the situation and in the Lord.

    My situation may or may not be similar to yours or even apply to you. But I know that acting on certain feelings, for me fear specifically, had left a man who has been waiting years to love me at the end of his patience. After prayerfully considering the situation and a decision to live recklessly within God's purpose (the safest way to live on the edge :) ) I have seen much growth in my heart and fear replaced with an eagerness to move forward.
    Conquering the feelings of concern and uneasiness is what has propelled me in a new direction of life. Perhaps instead of waiting to understand the scary ones, acknowledge them and choose to fight them. God's got a big enough bottle of white-out to fix any mistake. He wants us to run hard after the opportunities He's provided us with.
    We couldn't possibly have been built for anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thank you for your comment. I will take these words and hold them close when making decisions. Thank you again. How sweet.

    ReplyDelete